Pages

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Trust & Technology

A week or so ago I was doing a long overdue update for the Window side of my Mac computer. I had recently got Overwatch as a birthday gift and I wanted to fully update my Windows side before playing it. Unfortunally one of the updates did not end fast enough and I could not show an assignment to my class for feedback.
            Dr. Jones, my professor, asked “How come you did not put it on Google Drive?”
            I answered, “Because I do not trust Google Drive.” Which then warranted a lecture from her about having external hard drives and backups so this would not happen again (along with trusting technology).
            I then began to really think why I did not trust Google Drive, because for so long I had not even really realized how much I distrusted it until now. I just everything nicely organized in my folders on my laptop because I took it everywhere. I did have an external hard drive, but I at the time of this problem I had not updated it to have this particular file that I needed (but that was partially due to my arrogance thinking that again, it would not take along).
            Going back to examining why I did not trust Google Drive is most likely due to my upbringing. My parents… well I can not say did not like technology, but they were extremely wary of it (because they never had technology like this and did not understand it). Especially when it came time for me being old enough to have a laptop of my own (back when I was in middle school). They always told me to basically do not trust technology, do not have anything saved on the Internet because people will hack your computer and steal it or worse will replace it with a virus (which would cost them a lot of money to get rid of).

            These constant warnings were ingrained in my head so much I just accepted them as true. Of course over time as I grew up with technology and understood how it worked. I realized that it was just my parents being a bit over paranoid since they did not understand it. There were some things though that stuck in my brain even if I did not realize them, which may have seemed logical to me, but not logical to someone else. It only took them to point this out to make me realize how I was wrong. Of course this made me feel embarrassed to heck, but I had never had this situation before. I learned my lesson though and will be more trusting in online storage like Google Drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment